The fabulous Chloe of This Girl’s City bestowed upon me the honour of receiving The Versatile Blogger Award. I was extra touched because I heart Chloe’s blog and her tweets. I also took it as the swift kick in the butt I needed to finally make me post something on here. (I didn’t post any entries in March! Who am I? I was busy getting my ducks in a row!)
For my part, I’m to share seven random facts about myself…so here we go:
- I have a crazy memory for detail. Often, I am teased by my friends about my ability to pull out random facts or recount detailed happenings and direct quotes from the past. I can probably tell you what outfit I was wearing to every single event that I have ever attended. I’m not kidding.
- As a kid, I was obsessed with repeats of the ’60s television show The Monkees. I owned tapes of all their music and I wanted to marry Davy Jones.
- I am a master at the game 21 and can out shoot all of the best basketballin’ boys and girls I know…even when I’m wearing a dress and heels.
- I am addicted to buying magazines; fashion, sports, music, tabloids, you name it. For years, I kept them all and housed a massive collection in my bedroom. It got to the point where my parents forced me to purge most of them, for fear that the floor of my room would cave in. I am currently in recovery for this addiction. The only magazines that I usually still buy monthly are Nylon and Vogue. And I read magazines from back to front, always- never front to back.
- I sing at the top of my lungs when I’m alone in my car; my favourites to sing along to? Matt Good and Alanis Morissette. Occasionally I pump up the Britney. I actually prefer to drive places alone because I love to sing in my car and won’t do it if I have a passenger.
- The Montreal Canadiens were my favourite hockey team growing up. I was head over heels in love with Patrick Roy. At age 10, I could be seen walking around fully decked out in Habs gear. I had it all, including boxer shorts (which I wore hanging down underneath my Umbros) plus an array of t-shirts, hoodies, hats and track pants. I even owned Habs socks and running shoes.
- I often compare situations in life to episodes of Friends. I have been known to insert random Friends quotes into regular conversation. (This happens more frequently when Smith is around.) I tend to speak about Ross, Rachel, Chandler, Monica, Joey and Phoebe as if they’re my real friends.
Now I get to pay this prestigious honour forward. I want to know seven random facts about these babes:
Music is a total constant. That’s why we have such a strong visceral connection to it, you know? A song can take you back instantly to a moment, or a place, or even a person. No matter what else has changed in you or in the world, that one song stays the same, just like that moment.
At the end of every month, one of my favourite bloggers posts a list of the top 10 most played songs from her iTunes library over that month. It’s a way for her to keep a record of and share the soundtrack to which she is living her life. I love the idea so much, that I decided to be a little copy cat. A hat tip goes to the lovely author of Life Is Ducky for this one.
Here’s what I was listening to most in November:
- Slow Show, The National
- Heart Skipped A Beat, The xx
- Radioactive, Kings Of Leon
- Dog Days Are Over, Florence and the Machine
- Bloodbuzz Ohio, The National
- Dead Hearts, Stars
- Dance Anthem of the 80’s, Regina Spektor
- The Suburbs, Arcade Fire
- Meet Me In The Morning, Bob Dylan
- Folding Chair, Regina Spektor
Something tells me the list for next month may be very different. (If my current state of early holiday cheer is any indication…it could be all Christmas music, all the time for December!)
I think it’s important to take a step back every now and then to enjoy the little things in life; take stock of what makes you happy (even the guilty pleasures) and let the small things slide.
Some things that make me happy: blue skies, my shiny new computer (and being a Mac convert), the subsequent photo and video shoots with Photo Booth (obsessed), sushi, making lists, shopping, my pink snuggie, writing, SNL, movie previews, watching hockey, wandering around the city by myself, family time, cupcakes, reading a book I don’t want to put down, weekend brunch, feeling like I have accomplished something, MTV “reality” shows (except Jersey Shore- I do not get that one), fresh sheets, good wine, live music, making people laugh, late night talk shows, basketball games, new episodes of Gossip Girl, wearing a new outfit for the first time, fashion magazines, people who live with passion, enjoying delicious meals with good friends.
What makes you happy?
Drinking… A giant mug of green tea.
Wanting… A new handbag. Marc makes many that would do just fine. Oh, and a cupcake wouldn’t hurt.
Reading… I’m about half way through Live From New York: An Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live. It’s full of interesting and quirky stories from some my favourite comedians and writers.
Watching… I’m totally hooked on True Blood and Mad Men. Who isn’t? So. effing. good. Sunday nights rule. Late to the party, but I’m also working my way through Entourage from the beginning. This week I’m all about Big Love, which I’m picking up at season three, where I left off. I keep hearing excellent things about Breaking Bad. It might be my next one.
Loving… this summer. Sunshine, beach time, babes, patios, cocktails, kisses, laughs, friends, flowers and oh so much fun. Best summer ever!